Tuesday 6 October 2009

Only 21st?

.
According to the UN Annual Report, Norway is the best place in the world to live.

The report acknowledges that living standards in Norway have benefited from the discovery of North Sea oil and gas. That is only part of the story for maybe the impoertant part is what the Norwegians did with that money.

Those who know me will know that I am a great fan of Norway and for many years we have cruised there. The country, its road and ferry systems are extremely well-organised and they are very proud of their social services. There must be few countries in the world where cruise visitors are shown, in Trondheim if my memory serves me right, their new old folks home which is not far from the new hospital.

Britain comes 21st in the list of 182 countries and my immediate thought on reading this was why Norway, with a much smaller population than ours, was able to achieve its position when we came so low in the rankings. Is it possible that we frittered away our North Sea revenue or that they had better government?

Either way, if you are sick or old, Norway seems to me to be the best place to be.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment