Friday 4 June 2010

Chits And Red Tape

.
A Hong Kong based consultancy has discovered that, of twelve Asian countries, India has the worst levels of bureaucratic red tape. Any Indian businessman or person doing business in that lovely country could have told them that!

I like India and its people, and I much enjoyed my occasional visits there but even I had to gasp at the amount of bureaucracy involved sometimes. It was during my first visit there in the 70s that I saw for my own eyes, files in a Dickensian-type office bound up with the proverbial red tape.

I learned also that one sometimes needed a ‘chit’ for various activities. Indeed, there was one occasion when I found myself in a long queue of hot and tired folk just arrived in the country lining up to get a chit to enable us to get another chit to have our laptops examined. It was only after I left the airport that I found we had been scammed by a couple of crafty airport officials. But, at least, it was a gentle scam.

Indians are used to the bureaucracy and have ways, which we need not go into here, of getting round it. They do not usually complain, they just deal with it.

The sad truth is that it is the British that originally introduced bureaucracy and its associated chit system into India. An unfortunate legacy of the Raj.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment