Wednesday 18 August 2010

Utter Isolation

.
My internet provider’s servers broke down yesterday.

I couldn't read or send any emails, post my daily blog, order the trousers my wife wanted or even the CD I had forgotten to order last week. I couldn’t get uptodate with the news save what I read in the morning newspaper or saw on television, nor check a couple of references I was interested in researching online.

It’s ridiculous I know, but I felt completely isolated from the world and realised how dependent I am on being able to access the internet.

It made me think also how much time I spend sitting at my computer during the day though, in truth, I’m now so wedded to it that I’m not sure what I would do otherwise as a good many of my activities stem from my being able to get online. I’m sure that this applies to many others.

As it happens, I had a clinic appointment and that alleviated my frustration somewhat and the first thing I did on my return was to check my internet connection. And, wonder of wonders, I was back online.

Whoopee!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment