Thursday 16 December 2010

Charity Fatigue II

I wrote a few days ago about the number of advertisements on satellite television channels for various charities. They caused me to wonder if the television companies were using them as ‘fillers’ when there were no paying advertisements to broadcast.

Since then I have noted half a dozen more charity commercials which have joined the others at a time of year when many of us are thinking of making donations to worthy causes. Some of these would seem to be fairly small charities and some appear at first sight to duplicate the work of larger and better known charities.

I’ve so far counted a dozen charities appealing for funds in the last couple of weeks and it has struck me that some of them appear to duplicate the work of others, some better known. I wonder what benefit arises when a small charity makes a similar appeal to a larger one?

As I said before, we have made our annual Christmas donation and the spate of charity commercials do not affect us. Except to make me wonder what overheads some of these charities incur before they actually do their advertised work.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment