Saturday 4 December 2010

Charity Fatigue

I don’t think I’m a mean man and, when I can, I try to help out local and other charities.

The number of television advertisements for various charities seen in the last few days make me wonder whether the satellite television companies are using them as ‘fillers’ when they have no paying advertisements to broadcast. If so, I think they do the charities a disservice.

In the last few days I have been invited to subscribe £2 per month to St. Dunstans, £3 pm to adopt a tiger, £3 pm to adopt a polar bear, £30 per annum to adopt a lion, £2 pm for the WeCare charity, an unspecified amount to the RSPCA and £19 to the Salvation Army. There were also a couple of others.

All these are worthy charities and I have selected the one that I shall donate to this Christmas. But I do wonder whether the number of these sort of advertisements is one reason why most of the charities themselves admit that Britain suffers from ‘charity fatigue’.

If that is right, then might fewer advertisements than at present help?
.

No comments:

Post a Comment