Friday 2 July 2010

A Rarity

.
As I was out and about in the car yesterday, I spotted a fairly new car with an old-style AA badge fixed to its front grill. It reminded me that we rarely see these badges these days except on vintage cars.

I suppose the entry into the breakdown market of the insurance companies did away with the old AA and RAC badges for cars. Nowadays we get little cards to evidence our membership of the various breakdown organisations and don’t need the outward symbols of them. But it’s not as good as in the days when we were proud to bear the insignia of the club we belonged to on our cars.

When I first had a company car, and used to drive into central London every day (something I would never attempt these days!), I fixed to its radiator grill the badge of the company’s motoring club which, as it happened, was the firm’s rather impressive coat-of-arms.

Shortly after I got the car I had to drive from the West End down to Southampton with a colleague who looked a little like the Princess Royal. Along the Mall I was stopped at a set of traffic lights when a policeman stopped the traffic coming from the right and waved me through the lights thinking, I suppose, that the badge and the look-alike indicated that I was a royal driver taking her Royal Highness down to the Palace. I think we chuckled about that almost all of the way down to Southampton Docks.

The sight of that AA badge yesterday also reminded me of that incident and that car badges which once indicated with pride membership of this or that motoring and other clubs are sadly a rarity. I suspect that vandalism may have something to do with it but, nonetheless, it is a pity.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment