Wednesday 28 July 2010

Timeless

.
It is well-known to my chums that I much enjoy the 10th-century Gregorian liturgical chant. Indeed, for some years I was part of a small group that toured Essex churches to sing the old timeless Offices. So the latest news from Decca Records is an exciting one for me - though I acknowledge that others may disagree.

Hoping to repeat their success with the album of the Cistercian Monks of Stift Heiligenkreuz, whose 2008 Music For Paradise disc sold more than one million copies, Decca went searching for some singing nuns.

They eventually found the reclusive order of the Benedictine Nuns of the Abbaye de Notre-Dame de l'Annonciation near Avignon in France who were deemed to have the finest Gregorian chant singers. A deal was signed, and in November their new disc, Chant From Avignon, will be released.

From the sample of their chanting I’ve heard so far, they will have a resounding success. I can hardly wait!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment