Wednesday 21 July 2010

Safer?

.
The idea of ray guns has been around for many years. In the days of my youth I used on Saturday mornings to watch the exciting movies in which Flash Gordon used ray guns in his fights against Ming the Merciless. Now, the era of the ray gun has drawn closer.

Scientists working for the US firm Raytheon have developed an antiaircraft laser which has just been unveiled at the Farnborough Air Show. Producing a 50 kilowatt beam, the solid state laser can be used so far against unmanned aerial vehicles, mortars and small surface ships, but more powerful lasers are in development.

Hmm. I’m not sure if the world is a safer place with technology of this sort or whether, in the wrong hands, it would achieve the opposite.

But then, what do I know about weapons systems other than what I learned from Flash Gordon and Dan Dare?
.

No comments:

Post a Comment