Saturday 23 October 2010

An Early Victorian Church Service

It is a a matter of some regret that for health reasons I am not as mobile as I used be to. Had I been more mobile, I would have been tempted to have popped down last night to the Ewenny Priory Church near Bridgend to hear one of the oldest working and regularly played church organs in Wales.

Built by the celebrated organ maker William Sweetland in 1850, the organ was originally built for the Theological College at Wells and was relocated to the Lady Chapel of Wells Cathedral in 1895 and moved in 1999 to the newly restored Norman nave of Ewenny Priory Church. One reason the organ is rare is because of the lowness of its notes, allowing a more accurate interpretation of 18th-century church music.

Last night a special choral evensong was held to commemorate the centenary of Sweetland's death in 1910. The service used the 1662 Book of Common Player and included music written before 1850, sung by the St Hilary Choir with students of the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. Organ voluntaries were played before, during and after the service by Father Martin Colton, formerly the organist at Sheffield Cathedral.

I’m hoping that the church have recorded last night’s service for it would be a delight to hear it. I’ve emailed the church and am keeping my fingers crossed.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment