Friday 14 August 2009

Where Would We Be Without It?

.
Americans are currently debating President Obama’s plans for the future of their public health system.

I lived in the States for a while, and my limited understanding was that folk who could afford to pay for private insurance got a full range of medical treatment in contrast to the poor who did not. So, perhaps, anything which improves the US health service for those with no money is a good thing.

Critics of the President’s plans hold up our own NHS as an example of a system which is overly bureaucratic, rations care and denies some treatments to the elderly.

I am no fan of Gordon Brown but I have to agree wholeheartedly with him in his defence of the NHS, when he said on Twitter, ‘The NHS often makes the difference between pain and comfort, despair and hope, life and death. Thanks for always being there.’

I cannot agree more, and have nothing but praise for the NHS who have looked after me very well with a problem I have. The NHS undoubtedly has failings but for matters of life and death, it is there for everyone.

Look at it a different way. Where would we be without the NHS?
.

No comments:

Post a Comment