Wednesday 20 January 2010

Alcohol Abuse

.
I think my views on ‘Nanny’ governments are fairly well known, but I think for once I agree with the Home Secretary’s plans to outlaw ‘all-you-can-drink’ promotions and speed-drinking competitions and to tighten regulations concerning alcohol abuse.

We frequently see the results of teenagers’ and young folks’ drinking sessions on television and sometimes also locally where the bottles and cans strewn on pavements near pubs and bars and even at isolated beauty spots show that a drinking spree has taken place.

I’m not sure that these measures will entirely deal with the problem of alcohol abuse. Education and discipline come to mind but I can’t see any government trying to sort these two out. Nor will raising the unit price of alcohol as has been suggested.

What I do think might help the situation is to take another look at the price-cutting that goes on in supermarkets, for they effectively are in competition with the pubs and bars. The problem here is that any controls over supermarkets will hit consumers generally.

Nonetheless, the proposed measures should surely help.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment