Sunday 10 January 2010

Say Again?

.
I can’t say I lay any blame on the government, despite David Cameron’s posturing to the contrary, for the shortage of salt for the nation’s roads during what is clearly an unexpectedly prolonged bout of snow.

Nor, for the most part, do I blame the government for taking control of salt and grit distribution since I imagine, naively perhaps, that there is a master plan somewhere laying out which roads and which areas must be prioritised for these essential items.

In the same spirit, I accept that my part of Essex had to go without salt or grit for the last two days and that, as a result, many bus services had to be suspended because of the treacherous road conditions and folk advised to stay indoors.

But I exclude from this amiable spirit of acceptance the babble of an official from the Local Government Association who announced that, ‘At the moment we have done everything we can do. We are in partnership with the government and we are dealing with the problem of grit shortages.’

What does that mean I wonder?
.

No comments:

Post a Comment