Monday 8 February 2010

Cancer Care

.
In a speech to the King's Fund charitable foundation later today, Gordon Brown is said to be going to announce that Labour plans to provide free, one-to-one home care for every cancer patient in England within the next five years if Labour wins the next election.

It is said that this will save over £2.5 billion a year by reducing hospital admissions, and will give patients the opportunity of receiving chemotherapy, dialysis and palliative care without travelling to hospital.

Cancer Research UK report that there are around 300,000 new cases of cancer, excluding non-melanoma skin cancer, diagnosed every year in the UK and that more than one in three people will develop some form of cancer in their lifetime. That’s a lot of cancer.

It is a subject close to my heart for I am a cancer sufferer though, for the moment at any rate, my tumour is fortunately dormant. As it happens, I have no complaints about the NHS treatment I have received. In fact, I have nothing but praise for the doctors and other staff who have dealt with me at University College Hospital in London.

But, on behalf of all cancer sufferers in the UK, I do hope that the pledge to be made by Mr Brown is not just another cynical election promise. And why didn’t he think of this a decade ago?
.

No comments:

Post a Comment