Friday 12 February 2010

Save The Sign!

.
Atop the Hollywood Hills in Los Angeles is the iconic ‘Hollywood’ sign unveiled in 1923 (originally spelt ‘Hollywoodland’), a landmark which is recognised instantly worldwide.

It is a sign I saw every morning for a few years as I drove the length of Santa Monica Boulevard from my apartment in Marina del Rey to my office in Century City. It reminded me that I was working in one of the most exciting cities in the world.

Alas, the sign is under threat from ‘mega-mansions’ being built on the ridge above it, though a nature conservation group is hoping to raise a little over $5 million to buy the land and so protect it from development. If they are successful, the sign will be protected from the confusion of having buildings erected above it.

The view I enjoyed for a few years will shortly disappear for five days when it will be covered up and replaced by a sign which says ‘Save The Peak’ to remind people that the backdrop is ‘part of the iconic nature of the sign’.

What a good idea!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment