Saturday 13 March 2010

That’s A Relief!

.
Some years ago I found myself in Edinburgh over a weekend and took myself off to church on Sunday evening in the days when everything else in town was firmly closed.

Two things are burned into my memory from that evening. The first was the length of the sermon and the second, made worse by the first, was the hardness of the church pews. The minister, one of the hellfire and damnation variety, spluttered on for a full hour. Sleep was impossible because of his delivery and also because of the comfortless pews. I was never so glad to get out of a church in all my life.

So the latest announcement from the Roman Catholic Church will gladden the hearts of all those who, like me, have been trapped on hard pews in a church while a minister rambles on and on and who don't have the bottle to get up and walk out.

The Vatican has called for priests to respond to dwindling congregations and their dwindling attention spans by limiting their sermons to no more than eight minutes.

I am not a Catholic, but there is now a certain attraction!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment