Tuesday 2 March 2010

Why Not For Life?

.
I took Mickey, our Yorkshire Terrier, to the vet yesterday for his annual booster and kennel cough vaccination.

It took but five minutes and, £52 later as I was walking him back to the car, I wondered to myself why dog and cat vaccination has to be once a year. Why can’t they have ‘for life’ vaccinations as we humans have?

It’s a rhetorical question as I don’t expect anyone from the animal vaccine industry will reply (though if they do I will let you know). But I did wonder if that £52 pop every year might have something to do with it!
.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brian

    Your dog doesn't need to be vaccinated every year - he very likely already has lifelong protection against viral diseases such as parvovirus.

    As for kennel cough - the vaccine for this has limited duration of immunity - but does he really need it anyway?

    If you want more info on vaccination - here's a recent article I've written on the topic: "Too Many Needles! Unnecessary Vaccination Exposed"
    http://users.on.net/~peter.hart/Too_many_needles.pdf

    I've also made a submission on the problem of unnecessary vaccination of pets on an Australian government discussion paper. Here's the link to it: http://users.on.net/~peter.hart/PSIC_Submission_E_Hart.pdf

    There are plenty of scientific references in my submission for you to check out.

    My interest in unnecessary vaccination of pets was initiated after my own dog became very ill and was subsequently put down after her sixth unnecessary vaccination.

    Pet owners have been conned for years. It's time this scandal was exposed.

    ReplyDelete