Saturday 13 November 2010

Grilled With Salad

Like many other people I enjoy oriental cuisine, though I have always drawn the line at things such as boiled snakes, roast chicken feet and other such delicacies.

I enjoyed my travels in the East and was fortunate to have never been in a situation of having to taste anything that I had not already seen on a restaurant menu back home. So I have no idea what some of the more exotic delicacies taste like, let alone look like.

But one man in the Vietnamese Academy of Science and Technology, Dr Van Tri, has achieved international distinction by recognising an unknown species of lizard when it was served to him, grilled with a salad, in a restaurant in the Mekon Delta.

Not only was the lizard a new species, but it was thought to consist entirely of females which reproduce by a process called parthenogenesis. Dr Van Tri emailed photographs of the lizard to scientists in California and Pennsylvania and they got so exited that they flew immediately to Vietnam to see it for themselves.

They confirmed Dr Van Tri’s discovery and the new lizard species was named Leiolepis ngovantrii after him.

Thankfully, at least to me, there is no word as to how it tasted grilled with salad!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment