Sunday 21 November 2010

Xmas Party Decline

Researchers have discovered that almost four in ten businesses were scrapping the traditional Christmas parties.

In a way I’m not surprised. When you’ve made staff redundant, increased workloads, cut bonuses, etc., there is maybe an insensitivity in holding the annual Christmas bash for the survivors.

Once I became a manager, I found my enthusiasm for the Christmas party quickly waned. By then I had stopped drinking in the office environment and I always felt that the occasions were ripe for a sort of ritual suicide by staff who didn’t have the sense to reign in their drinking. I never curtailed any of the parties but made sure that, after putting in a brief appearance, I hightailed it out.

I kept to that rule for many years and was glad that I did so. I always felt it was so much better to hear about the various fights, indiscretions and sillynesses, than to actually be a part of them!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment