Saturday 25 September 2010

A Moan About Toyota

.
I feel like having a moan this morning. Not about the government, taxes, quangos, Teflon Blair or any of the other issues that have occupied the papers for the last few days.

No, I want to have a moan about Toyota. Or, more accurately, about their car keys and not their cars.

I drive a Toyota car and I’m very pleased with it. It is the eighth one I have owned and I have been very happy with all of them and none have ever given me a moment’s trouble. This current one is the best I have yet driven.

The problem is with the plastic-encased keys for my particular model. In short, they fall apart. I’ve now had two of them fall apart from what clearly seems to me to be a design fault.

So I called the dealer who sold me the car and asked them to fix me up with a new key. No problem sir, just pop in with your log book and driving license and pay us £118 and we’ll fix you up with a new key in two or three days. We’ll call you to bring your car in, we’ll take it to our service bay and programme the new key and, hey presto!, an hour later you are fit to go.

They sold me the car, so I now have to produce the log book and my driving licence when the man who sold it to me could be dragged out to identify me? They sold me a car for many thousands of pounds and now they want to charge me £118 for a new key to replace two that were obviously defective - and make me wait an hour to do it?

I wouldn’t want to sit and calculate how much money Toyota (or their dealers) have had from my cars. But it has made me cross to think that when something is so obviously wrong, they want to make a hefty charge to put it right.

Writing this blog and expressing my anger at what is, I admit a fairly trivial matter in the general scheme of things, is supposed to have made me feel better.

But it hasn’t!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment